Updates, Reads and Reactions

Thanks to WJR Radio in Detroit for having me on to talk about my "Reasons for Detroit's Decline" stuff.  I had a brief discussion with Warren Pierce on the Great Voice of the Great Lakes!  I so remember him on WJR before and after Tiger games I listened to as a kid.

I want to give a shout-out to Jim Russell of Burgh Diaspora.  I've been reading his blog for a few months, and I think he is on to something.  He has rightfully recognized and documented Pittsburgh's economic turnaround in recent years, and has shown that it's happened without corresponding population growth.  In fact, Pittsburgh is growing wealthier as it continues to (slightly) lose population, and is beginning to stand out as a new template for urban revitalization.  I'll write more about it in the near future, and what it could mean for other Rust Belt cities.